Product Development Technologist required by fast growing FMCG Company, part of a larger food group based in Co Tipperary. Reporting to the Product Development Manager the overall purpose of this role is
- The role of the Product Development technologist is to facilitate the continuing development and growth of the company sites by efficiently developing new products from concept and Customer briefings in the retail, food service, B2B and manufacturing sectors. The company has an ambitious vision for growth driven by Innovation, targeting 10% of the Company’s turnover driven by Innovations each year.
- For this role you will need to be a real “foodie” with a passion for creative innovative and consumer trend-based product development and practical know-how to translate our big ideas into fantastic flavourful products as we look to expand our product portfolio into new sectors and formats.
The Ideal candidate will have:-
- Lead projects to develop new product concepts and formulations, in partnership with key suppliers and other stakeholders, from concept/idea stage all the way to implementation and market launch.
- Prototype recipe development to demonstrate application of new ingredients within different product categories and/or formats.
- Work with internal and external partners on new technologies and ingredients that will support the delivery of the company’s long-term innovation strategy.
- Lead scale-up development via factory trials with operations and site technical teams at relevant sites.
- Work independently and with Commercial to develop new ideas and shape projects.
- Monitor current trends in beverages, ingredients, and consumer trends.
- Understand the ingredient, product functionality and work with suppliers to develop exciting new opportunities.
- Progress all aspects of document control and process relating to project
- To work with the Sensory and Commercial teams to set benchmarks and appropriate product assessments.
- Harness internal and external organisations capability to drive change.
- Work closely with customers in delivering innovative solutions that are in line with customer expectations and operational/commercial restraints.
- Understanding the marketplace and change/evolve the product offering to meet consumer trends. To facilitate and manage brainstorming and synectics sessions to generate & manage a pipeline of new product ideas and blue skies concepts which is continuously on going. Drive benchmarking sessions on competitor products.
- Provide relevant information to the finance department to enable calculation of product costing and ensure accurate records are documented with regard to all project work.
- To participate in the completion of all State agency grant applications.
Experience / Qualifications.
- BSc Food Science/Technology/Nutrition or related degree. Other food related non-science degree/qualifications would be considered.
- A minimum of 1 to 2 years industry experience in a product development related role in the Food and Drinks category would be an advantage.
- High energy, team player with strong record of meeting aggressive goals and objectives
- Strong product development & organisational skills
- Strong people & project management skills
- Strong attention to detail skills required.
- Good communication skills, self-starter, work under own initiative, good listener, assertive and highly motivated. Clear demonstration of an ability to provide guidance and motivation to others.
- Excellent PC skills are essential.